Are you insured?

No matter how carefully you do your work, there’s always a chance that something may go wrong, so before you start working it’s best to make sure you’re well protected.

There is a range of insurance options available for professional decorators and painters, and a number of insurance providers to choose from.

Two of the most important types of insurance cover you can organise are public liability and professional indemnity.

The former will cover you in the event that you are held responsible for causing damage or injury to a third party.

For instance, if you knock over a ladder in a house you're painting and break an expensive vase, your public liability insurance may be able to cover to cost of replacing it.

Some insurance providers offer public liability insurance that is specifically tailored for professional decorators and painters, so this might be a good option for you.

If you organise professional indemnity insurance, you will be covered for injuries or damages to third parties that occur as a result of advice you have given.

This can be especially useful for those who work in interior design.

You can also take out personal accident insurance, which should protect you against income loss in the event that you are injured or ill and cannot paint.

In addition to this, think about arranging cover to protect your vehicle, tools and portable equipment. If you're like many professional decorators and painters, your vehicle is your office – so if it's out of action or stolen, your business could come to halt.

It's important to do some research before you make a decision about the insurance you need – and there's no place like the internet!

In fact, a recent study conducted by Roy Morgan Research shows that 49.6 per cent of people say the internet is the "most useful" research tool when it comes to finding an insurance policy.

So, get online and make sure you're well protected.

This entry was posted in Paint, Tips for Tradies. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply